Reducipe – Pork Adobo

Posted on May 23, 2008 by Melissa
Filed Under Reducipes

Sooo good!I’ve been trying to share this household favorite for a while now but I kept forgetting to take photos of the rub components. Finally I didn’t forget this time and it’s ready to post.

My Pork Adobo is an adaptation from a recipe I found in a diet cookbook. Not only is it good for your wallet, it’s good for you!

This is a great recipe to serve to a mixed group of dieters and non-dieters because everyone will love it and feel satisfied. Serve it with charra beans (I’ll post that recipe soon) or a green salad and you have a nice little meal.

This is a simple combination of lean pork, sweet onions, and spicy tomato sauce all rolled up in a tortilla. How can you go wrong?

Pork Adobo

2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Combine the rub ingredients in a small bowl. Rub the mixture into the pork and let marinade for at least 30 minutes in fridge.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a roasting pan with foil. Place the pork in the pan and roast until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of meat reads 155 degrees, about 25 minutes.

While pork is roasting, heat a large skillet over medium low heat. Add the oil then add onions, sugar, salt, and water. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until softened and lightly browned – about 20 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce and the strained adobo sauce and simmer uncovered until flavors blend, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.

After you remove the pork from the oven, transfer pork to cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm. Thinly slice the pork and stir into the onion mixture. Spoon into tortillas and serve like tacos. Serves 6-8.

Be sure to cook the onions over medium low heat so they become soft and translucent without becoming caramelized. If the onions are too long they can be awkward to eat in the tacos. It’s best to keep the slices bite size. I find that cutting the onion slices into fourths works really well.

Use more Adobo sauce to increase spiciness or less if you prefer a milder flavor. I tend to like my tacos saucy so I use the full 15oz tomato sauce.

Ingredients for the Pork Adobo Rub
Ingredients for Pork Adobo

Please do not skip the resting period for the pork after you remove it from the oven. It is very important that you let it rest and give the juices time to redistribute within the meat. If you don’t, be warned that you will have a cutting board full of juices and dry meat. (this is a cooking school tip)

The best part is that this meal is even better the next day as leftovers! Just heat up the Pork Adobo and tortillas in the microwave and roll into tacos.

Ingredient Cost Ingredient Cost
Canola Oil $0.10 Pork Tenderloin $3.69
Onions $1.17 Tortillas $1.59
Sugar N/A Brown Sugar $0.05
Tomato Sauce $0.92 Vinegar $0.02
Chipotle Peppers $1.09 Total $8.63 or $1.44 a serving

If you want to stretch the meat even further you can add beans to this recipe although the texture suffers a little. Personally, I prefer to cut the slices of meat into quarters and add more onions to increase the yield. Either way the dish is very economical. Enjoy!

Comments

19 Responses to “Reducipe – Pork Adobo”

1. KimdaCook(new comment) on June 12th, 2008 12:52 am

Thanks for the recipe its always great to get new ideas for food one gets very bored making the same stuff over again

2. Alexandra(new comment) on June 20th, 2008 8:11 pm

Yum ! Thanks for the recipe!

3. KimdaCook(new comment) on August 1st, 2008 12:49 am

Tried this out but sad to say I did not enjoy it at all.

4. Joy Smith(new comment) on August 7th, 2008 3:31 pm

This recipe looks good, but the kids won’t like it because of the spice. Generally I can spend about $5.00 per dinner meal in total for a family of 4.

5. carol(new comment) on August 25th, 2008 1:54 pm

That looks wonderful and I have all the ingredents on hand! Dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe.

6. Gary Diamond(new comment) on September 2nd, 2008 12:55 am

Was wondering when there would be new posts here!!!

7. KimdaCook(new comment) on September 30th, 2008 1:45 am

Hey guys when are there going to be some new things and recipes on your site?????

8. Gary Diamond(new comment) on November 6th, 2008 2:40 am

I do pop in monthly just to see if you guys have maybe posted something new but to no avail please it would really be great with something fresh and new.

9. retirement(new comment) on November 23rd, 2008 8:54 pm

Had a variation of this dish in Manila. Yummy!

10. Kim Cooking(new comment) on December 1st, 2008 4:41 am

I did not like this dish at all, not sure why maybe will give it another try and see if it comes out differently.

11. Kim Cooking(new comment) on January 13th, 2009 1:10 am

Just wishing that there where new posts here and some new recipes its a new year maybe soon

12. Meeting rooms(new comment) on January 15th, 2009 3:58 am

I agree with Kim, let’s see some new recipes here soon. I’ve tried almost all and need something new.

13. Bad Credit - Easy(new comment) on January 20th, 2009 1:23 pm

My goodness…that looks and sounds so good….
    I say screw my diet for a week eh? ;)

14. Sue | Cater(new comment) on April 1st, 2009 1:07 am

Unusual dish, have glanced through the site, would love to have some more recipes that are updated.

15. Kim da Cook(new comment) on June 1st, 2009 2:52 am

Hi there

Please there has to be new up dates to this site its been so long now what is happening

16. Kim da Cook(new comment) on June 30th, 2009 11:18 pm

Hi there every one
    I hope all is well just sad to see that there are still no new posts here.
    Will be back again and maybe there will be, I am looking for some great new recipes,

17. Sue | Cater(new comment) on June 30th, 2009 11:20 pm

Hello

Still nothing happening here, I would have to agree with Kim da Cook, where are the people hiding, and where are the new recipes or and other posts????

18. Paul the Accountant(new comment) on October 8th, 2009 3:20 am

That looks really tasty, sadly my girlfriend is a veggie so the pork is out. Wonder if this would go well with some nice juicy prawns or something?

19. Kim Diamond @ Diamonds(new comment) on May 3rd, 2010 3:14 am

Hey Paul now thats a great idea, this sauce with prawns, could actually be really great, I think that I am going to give that a try, i just wish that there would be some new posts or some kind of up dates to the site.