Reducipe: Mirin Wasabi Glazed Salmon

Posted on April 22, 2008 by Melissa
Filed Under Reducipes

Simply awesome!This is one of those recipes that’s easy to make, tastes great, and it’s good for you, too!

This is Eric’s most requested salmon dish and every time he finishes, he licks his plate clean. No joke.

It really is that tasty, folks.

This Mirin Wasabi glaze is out of this world. It blends sweet with a little tangy and a little hot. It matches really well with the fattiness of the salmon and complements it beautifully.

If you are concerned about the kick of wasabi, there is a trick to controlling the heat. If you want it on the milder side just add your wasabi along with the other sauce ingredients before cooking. Cooking really seems to temper the flavor and heat of wasabi. If you want your wasabi at full strength (like us) whisk it into the sauce after cooking.

Mirin Wasabi Glazed Salmon

3 tablespoons Mirin
1 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1-2 teaspoons wasabi paste (more if you like it hot)
1 lb salmon fillet, cut into 4 equal pieces
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced

To make the sauce combine the Mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and ginger in a small bowl and whisk. Transfer to small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until the flavors blend and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the wasabi paste. Set aside.

Sprinkle the salmon with the salt and the pepper. Set a large nonstick skillet over high heat and add a little olive oil. Add the salmon and cook, turning once, until the fish is browned on the outside and almost opaque in the center, about 3-4 minutes on each side.

Transfer to plates and spoon the sauce over the salmon. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

As far as cooking temperatures go, my sanitation guidelines state that fish should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145 F. However, this must not be a hard and fast rule because restaurants often serve salmon medium and tuna rare. Personally, I like to remove my salmon from the heat when the thickest part reaches 132 F and I let carry over cooking take it the rest of the way to 135 F.

I chose farm-raised salmon for this recipe because it was fresh (not previously frozen) and on sale. I couldn’t believe I found it for only $4.99 a pound this week, especially with food prices rising every where. Turns out they overstocked. Yea for me!

Ingredients for Mirin Wasabi Salmon

I highly recommend finely grating fresh ginger when it’s being used in sauces. This step helps break down the fibers within fresh ginger and creates a better texture. To grate my ginger I use a microplane. They aren’t too expensive and can be used to grate all sorts of things like spices, chocolate, or even hard cheeses.

This time I had to make an educated guess at the cost for the Mirin. I always seem to have it on hand and I forgot to jot down the price at the grocery store as a reference. I decided to estimate high though, just in case.

Ingredient Cost Ingredient Cost
Mirin $0.10 Wasabi $0.12
Rice Vinegar $0.05 Salmon $4.94
Soy Sauce $0.10 Olive Oil $0.06
Honey $0.16 Scallions $0.15
Ginger $0.09   Total $5.77 or $1.44 a serving

Wow, a yummy salmon dinner for less than a $1.50 per serving. Not bad. As you can see in the picture I paired it with some plain rice (to soak up the sauce) and a frozen Asian veggie mix. Even with those additions it’s still well under $2.00 a serving. I hope you will try this out and tell me what you think! Enjoy!

Comments

18 Responses to “Reducipe: Mirin Wasabi Glazed Salmon”

1. TC Byrd on April 22nd, 2008 8:24 pm

This sounds pretty darn good. My husband and I are fish newbies, but this sounds simple enough for even us.

Bonus is that I have every thing on hand except the salmon. I may give it a try later this week.

2. christina on April 23rd, 2008 12:37 am

Mmm, this sounds fantastic. We’re all big wasabi fans and although good fresh salmon is hard to come by where we are I’d really like to give this a try.

3. SavingDiva on April 23rd, 2008 8:00 am

I printed off the recipe. The next time the bf comes to town, I will try it out!

4. edamame on April 23rd, 2008 9:12 am

All dishes look very delicious. I am interested in the food culture of your country. And I support your site. If there is time, please come in my site. From Japan

5. Kyle on April 28th, 2008 2:39 pm

I love Salmon! I printed off the recipe to try, thanks for the tip.

6. links for 2008-05-20 « Free Hogg on May 19th, 2008 8:31 pm

[...] Reducipe: Mirin Wasabi Glazed Salmon : A Penny Closer (tags: cooking recipes) [...]

7. Gary Diamond on May 30th, 2008 12:16 am

Thanks for the great recipe I love wasabi and salmon sounds like a wonderful combination will have to try it out

8. KimdaCook(new comment) on July 1st, 2008 1:00 am

Wow what a great recipe for salmon, as fish is such a good food for one ill have to try out this for my family thats for sharing it!!!!

9. christina(new comment) on July 1st, 2008 12:06 pm

I made this tonight for dinner and we loved it!

10. Mandy(new comment) on July 2nd, 2008 12:50 pm

Thanks for the recipe- I’ll try it!

11. KimdaCook(new comment) on August 1st, 2008 12:47 am

Hey I made this the other night was really great, hope you going to post some new recipes for us soon

12. Stephanie Lewis(new comment) on November 30th, 2008 2:18 pm

I have found many recipes online, and this one is THE BEST by far. We have all heard from medical experts how healthy salmon is for you, so I set out to FORCE my family to like salmon. No exaggeration… I tried at least 20 recipes before this one… dill sauce, lemon sauce, lime sauce, cajun, italian {olive oil, garlic, basil, parsley}… in the oven, on the grill, pan fried with fresh ground pepper… you name it. Each and every time I announced we were having salmon yet another “new way” for dinner, I would hear, “You know we don’t like salmon! Why do you keep making it?” Then I found this recipe. Now THEY ASK IF WE’RE HAVING SALMON FOR DINNER. This sauce has such a unique and outstanding flavor. You have to try it. You will make your family into salmon lovers. I make plain white rice to go with it and extra sauce. We have it at least once a week now.

13. pays to live green(new comment) on December 1st, 2008 7:27 am

I am going to have to try this. I love salmon because it tastes so good and is such a great brain food.

14. Adri(new comment) on December 1st, 2008 8:51 pm

We just love this recipe! I’m tired of salmon so I always make it with striped bass.
    I make sushi rice and the Spicy Glazed Eggplant from Epicurious, it IS just great! Dinner is served!!!

15. Flüge USA(new comment) on March 18th, 2009 4:29 am

The recipe sounds delicious! I was a little concerned about the wasabi at first, because I don’t really like hot food. At least not too hot… But the trick to control the heat sounds great, I could also try that for other dishes with wasabi I never dared to cook before ;-)

16. Sue | Catering Display(new comment) on September 2nd, 2009 11:41 pm

This was just a great dish, and so very easy to make I just loved the use of the wasabi. Nice to know that it goes so well with the salmon.

17. Andrea(new comment) on October 9th, 2009 6:10 pm

My whole family loved this, even my 4 year old. I paired it with a salad with almond slivers, carrots, miso dressing and those crunchy La Choy rice noodles. The kids loved the crunch. I can’t beleive I got the kids to eat salmon and salad for dinner. Mom: 1, Kids: 9,999.

18. Zubaidatariq(new comment) on August 23rd, 2010 12:19 am

Hi!

This sounds pretty good.This was just a great dish.
    this sounds fantastic. Thanks for the recipe.